I teach undergraduate courses and supervise MSc dissertations in the School of Social Science and Humanities. I also supervise final year BSc dissertations for students on Loughborough Psychology courses in the School of Sports, Exercise and Health sciences. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Current undergraduate courses:
- Principles of Social Research Methods: a mandatory course introducing all first year students to fundamentals of research methodology in the social sciences.
- Media Landscapes: introducing first-year students to critical and professional perspectives on film, entertainment, news media, games, and the creative industries.
- Social Interaction (syllabus) (2019-2020): an advanced level course introducing students to the practicalities and methodological basis for studying human social interaction.
Current graduate courses:
- Applied Conversation Analysis: a graduate-level intensive course preparing MSc students to use of conversation analysis for their own practical, applied research projects.
- Key Debates in Digital Media & Society (2019-2020): a student-led interactive debate course covering key issues of online privacy, mass disinformation, and digital citizenship.
I run regular in-person (and recently, online, international) workshops on interaction research methods with the Discourse and Rhetoric Group at Loughborough including:
- Conversation Analysis for Beginners
- Advanced Conversation Analysis
- Conversation Analysis and Healthcare Interactions
I have also developed an online course on Digital Transcription for Interaction Analysis.
Receptionist-led telephone triage in GP Practices: communication barriers to patient access?
Prof. Elizabeth Stokoe & Prof. Alison Pilnick
Managing Selfhood in Dementia: Interrogating the operationalisation of identity work and its relationship with media representations.
Prof. Elizabeth Peel & Prof. Alison Pilnick
Respecifying ‘culture’ in mediation encounters
Prof. Elizabeth Stokoe & Dr. Jessica Robles
Interactional Management of Agency in Homecare Work with Virtual Assistants
Prof. Charles Antaki & Prof. Elizabeth Peel